In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.

Member Benefit

This content is only available year-round to ESC Professional Members, Fellows of the ESC, and Young Combined Members

Cardiac Magnetic Resonance evaluation and risk stratification of patients with unexplained or suspected arrhythmias

Session Poster Session 1

Speaker Mafalda Carrington

Event : ESC Congress 2019

  • Topic : imaging
  • Sub-topic : Imaging of Arrhythmias
  • Session type : Poster Session

Authors : M Carrington (Evora,PT), R Santos (Evora,PT), J Pais (Evora,PT), B Picarra (Evora,PT), R Rocha (Evora,PT), D Bras (Evora,PT), R Azevedo-Guerreiro (Evora,PT), K Hyde-Congo (Evora,PT), J Aguiar (Evora,PT)

Authors:
M. Carrington1 , R. Santos1 , J. Pais1 , B. Picarra1 , R. Rocha1 , D. Bras1 , R. Azevedo-Guerreiro1 , K. Hyde-Congo1 , J. Aguiar1 , 1Hospital Espirito Santo de Evora, Cardiology - Evora - Portugal ,

Topic(s):
Imaging: Arrhythmias

Citation:
European Heart Journal ( 2019 ) 40 ( Supplement ), 214

Introduction: The etiological diagnosis of cardiac arrhythmias is often difficult. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR) is the gold standard exam for anatomical and functional cardiac evaluation and it may be indicated in patients with ventricular arrhythmias when echocardiography does not provide an accurate assessment of left and right ventricles (LV, RV).

Purpose: The aim of this study was to determine the impact of CMR in the diagnosis and stratification of arrhythmic risk in patients with confirmed or suspected arrhythmias, as well as to describe the changes observed.

Methods: We performed a prospective registry over a 5-year period of all the patients with arrhythmias who underwent CMR for diagnostic and risk stratification purposes. We followed a protocol to evaluate both anatomically and functionally the ventricles and to look for the presence of late gadolinium enhancement (LGE).

Results: A total of 78 patients were included, of which 65% were male and a mean age of 46±17 years-old was observed. The indications for CMR evaluation of patients with confirmed or suspected arrhythmias were as follows: 33% (n=26) of the patients had very frequent premature ventricular complexes (PVC), 23% (n=18) had sustained ventricular tachycardia (VT), 17% (n=13) suspected structural heart disease with high arrhythmic potential, 12% (n=9) unexplained recurrent syncope, 6% (n=5) supraventricular tachycardia, 5% (n=4) non-sustained VT and 4% (n=3) aborted sudden cardiac death. Depressed ventricular ejection fraction (<50%) was present in 9% (n=7) for the LV and in 14% (n=11)for the RV. Dilation of the LV was found in 24% of the patients (n=19, mean LV volume: 115±4ml/m2) and RV dilation was present in only 1 patient who had right ventricle arrhythmogenic dysplasia (RVAD) (RV volume: 152ml/m2). Cardiac synchronization artifacts due to the presence of very frequent PVC compromised the calculation of v volumes in only 4% (n=3) of the patients. In total, 6% (n=5) had interventricular septum hypertrophy (mean 15±6g/m2), 10% (n=8) had a slight prolapse of the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve and 19% (n=15) had a dilated left auricle. LGE was present in 13% (n=10) and slight pericardium effusion was detected in 12% (n=9). CMR was considered normal in 65% (n=51), in 15% (n=12) we found nonspecific changes deserving follow-up and in 20% (n=15) it was possible to establish a diagnosis which was previously unknown: 5% (n=4) had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, 4% (n=3) LV non-compaction, 4% (n=3) a myocarditis sequelae, 3% (n=2) RVAD, 3% (n=2) a myocardial infarction scar and 1 had non-ischemic dilated cardiomyopathy.

Conclusions: CMR is a technique with high spatial resolution, feasible and safe, which allowed an increase in diagnosis in 20% of the patients, thus contributing to the risk stratification of our study population with suspected high arrhythmic potential when the first-line complementary exams were inconclusive.

Member Benefit

This content is only available year-round to ESC Professional Members, Fellows of the ESC, and Young Combined Members

Get your access to resources

Join now
  • 1ESC Professional Members – access all ESC Congress resources 
  • 2ESC Association Members (Ivory, Silver, Gold) – access your Association’s resources
  • 3Under 40 or in training - with a Combined Membership, access all resources
Join now
logo esc

Our mission: To reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease

Who we are