In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.
Long-term evolution of longitudinal myocardial deformation in the natural history of familial amyloid polyneuropathy
2017

Congress : ESC Congress

  • Topic : valvular, myocardial, pericardial, pulmonary, congenital heart disease
  • Sub-topic : Myocardial Disease – Clinical
  • Session type : Moderated Posters
  • FP Number : P5847

Authors : G Lima Da Silva (Lisbon,PT), N Cortez-Dias (Lisbon,PT), T Guimaraes (Lisbon,PT), M Nobre Menezes (Lisbon,PT), L Santos (Lisbon,PT), S Goncalves (Lisbon,PT), I Conceicao (Lisbon,PT), F Pinto (Lisbon,PT), MC Azevedo Coutinho (Lisbon,PT)

15 views

Authors:
G. Lima Da Silva1 , N. Cortez-Dias1 , T. Guimaraes1 , M. Nobre Menezes1 , L. Santos1 , S. Goncalves1 , I. Conceicao1 , F. Pinto1 , M.C. Azevedo Coutinho1 , 1Hospital De Santa Maria, Cardiology Department - Lisbon - Portugal ,

Citation:
European Heart Journal ( 2017 ) 38 ( Supplement ), 1238

Background: Patients with V30M-TTR familiar amyloid polyneuropathy (FAP) may develop cardiomyopathy, which usually manifests with diastolic dysfunction and parietal thickening. Only a minority of these patients develops clinical manifestations, namely heart failure. Thus, the evaluation of cardiac infiltration is relevant because it constitutes an index of the stage of systemic amyloid infiltration, which can be serially determined.

Purpose: To characterize the evolution of the longitudinal myocardial deformation (LMD) in the spectrum of V30M-TTR FAP progression, in order to determine the usefulness of this parameter as a marker of cardiac infiltration.

Methods: Single-center prospective study of consecutive V30M-TTR mutation carriers. All patients underwent clinical evaluation with neurological involvement assessment. A transthoracic echocardiogram was performed and post-processing speckle-tracking analysis was performed from the apical 4, 3 and 2-chamber chambers, by the same operator blinded to clinical data. The LMD parameters were compared according to symptomatic status and duration of the symptomatic disease.

Results: A total of 186 patients were studied (51.1% of female gender, mean age=46±13 years). About 67% (N=125) had symptomatic disease for 4 years [interquartile range (IQ):2–7] and the remaining 33% (N=61) were asymptomatic carriers. All patients had normal left ventricular ejection fraction (65%, IQ: 12%). A significant reduction of global LMD was observed in symptomatic patients (-17±4 vs -19±3%, P<0.001) and with the increase of symptoms duration (-18±3% at 3 years, -17±4% at 3–6 years, -16±4% after 6 years of symptoms, P=0.015). Regarding the topographic distribution, symptomatic patients had a decrease of LMD at the basal (-16±6 vs -18±6%, P<0.001) and middle (-17±5 vs -19±5%, P<0.001) segments while the apical segments were speared (-20±7 vs -21±6%, P=NS).

Conclusion: Progression of FAP is accompanied by subclinical changes in systolic function, manifested by compromise of longitudinal myocardial deformation. A peculiar pattern was identified, with predominant involvement of the mid-basal segments and apical sparing.

Please login to My ESC

This content may be restricted, please sign in to check your access.

Three reasons why you should become a member

Become a member now
  • 1Access your congress resources all year-round on the New ESC 365
  • 2Get a discount on your next congress registration
  • 3Continue your professional development with free access to educational tools
Become a member now

Our sponsors

ESC 365 is supported by Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer Alliance, and Novartis Pharma AG. The sponsors were not involved in the development of this platform and had no influence on its content.

logo esc

Our mission: To reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease

Who we are